Friday, August 27, 2004

IAS Freedom Medal Winner - Chick Corea

Chick Corea - from Science Fiction to Scientology



(Chick performing To the Stars)

Chick Corea
Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy
Chick Corea talks to Stuart Nicholson about Scientology, the rebirth of the Elektric band and how his remarkable career has developed over the years from Return to Forever through to the forming of the Elektric band in the 80s and Three Quartets with Michael Brecker. (Full Article>>)

As great as Chick is as a musician, that is now why he won an IAS Freedom Medal. His medal was awarded for exemplifying what it means to be a Scientologist and sharing this with millions of people around the world.

Here is what Chick says about Scientology:
he single greatest thing that studying Scientology has done for me is that it’s helped me become freer. Freer to create life as I want to, without being thrown off from my objectives. One of the first simple successes was that I learned to handle and remove my own self-imposed barriers and restraints. Through further study, my ability to handle life around me also increased. This freedom has been hard won, but the rewards are great.
My study of Scientology has also enabled me to write more music. I am quicker and am able to use all the musical abilities that I already had. I gained a new understanding of what the proper importances are in the process of creating music.
Scientology has helped me to live better. Using the basic principles of Scientology has become a natural way of life for me. From Scientology I’ve gotten a freedom to learn whatever I want to learn in life and I’m gaining new abilities all the time."

Chick has also been an avid supporter of human rights, religious tolerance, improving interrelationships and ethics to build a better society.

It's hard to pick one of Chick's albums and say it's the "best". His work is so varied, and all of it so innovative and brilliant. But his latest one: To the Stars is one of my all time favorites of his work. It is based on a book by the same title by L. Ron Hubbard .